Our approach to learning
From the very beginning, our curriculum encourages each one of our students to achieve the best they can. Broadening their horizons and helping them to better understand themselves through a varied curriculum that stretches and challenges them. We’ll harness your child’s innate inner-drive, helping them to develop independence, confidence and a deep desire to learn and grow.
We provide Chromebook laptops as part of our fee. This gives students access to our Google Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), where they’ll be able to use our online learning resources, collaborate with each other, and complete assignments.
The School is currently redeveloping a beautiful Victorian building to become a new School Library and Sixth Form Study Centre to create further inspiring study spaces for our vibrant learning community.
The Curriculum in Year 7 and Year 8
- Mathematics: Classes in sets according to each child’s experience and ability.
- Creative Arts: Art, Drama, Music
- Technology: Design Technology, Textile Design, ICT
- Humanities: Geography, History, Global Perspectives
- Languages: Spanish or Mandarin in Year 7, plus French in Year 8
- Global Communications
- Physical Education: Sport and Wellbeing
Fryer House at a Glance
- 60 students in each year
- Average class sizes of 16
- Small tutor groups of 10 students provide each child with more individual support than most Independent Schools, where the average is between 20 and 25
- Students see their tutor three times every day, ensuring very close relationships and a high level of support. A child’s tutor is responsible for their academic and personal development. They’ll also be your primary point of contact
- Initiatives like our Fryer Project Qualification as well as setting in Maths, ensure that students are stretched and challenged, preparing them for focused academic study in the Senior School
- Dedicated House staff with a strong focus on pastoral care and wellbeing
- Leighton Park won the national ISA Award for Excellence in Pupil Person Development 2022.
The promise of choice lies at the heart of Leighton Park’s curriculum with students exploring subjects in breadth and depth. Students are supported to explore new areas and build on their subject knowledge, enabling them to make an informed choice when it comes to selecting subjects at GCSE level. Watch our subject videos to hear what our students think.
Use the icon in the top right of the video to select different subjects.