Our approach to learning
Year 9 marks the beginning of the Senior School. Students are given the opportunity to study a broad range of subjects, helping them make an informed choice when they pick from our 26 GCSE-level options for Year 10. We encourage students to focus on key transferable skills such as communication, organisation and team building in order to prepare them for future external examinations and to help them become more independent.
We are also keen to develop students beyond the classroom through our wide and varied co-curricular programme, opportunities for contextual learning, deep scholarship, external visits and activities. This also ensures that students joining Leighton Park in Year 9 settle smoothly and quickly make lasting friendships.
The Curriculum in Year 9
- Mathematics: Classes in sets according to each child’s experience and ability.
- Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- Creative Arts: Art, Drama, Music
- Technology: Computer Science, Design Technology, Textile Design, Food Technology
- Humanities: Geography, History, Philosophy, Religion and Values
- Languages: Spanish, Mandarin, French and German
- Physical Education: Sport and Wellbeing
- Personal Social Health Education
Year 9 at a Glance
- 75 students
- Average class sizes of 16
- Small tutor groups of 10 students provide each child with more individual support than most Independent Schools, where the average is between 20 and 25
- Students see their tutor three times every day, ensuring very close relationships and a high level of support. A child’s Tutor is responsible for their academic and personal development. They are your primary and regular point of contact.
- Impressive and varied co-curricular programme, with 90 different activites.
- All students complete the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award.
- Students provided with Chromebook to aid their learning
- Dedicated staff with a strong focus on pastoral care and wellbeing.
- A year group Hub and garden where students can relax and spend time with their friends.
The promise of choice lies at the heart of Leighton Park’s curriculum with students exploring subjects in breadth and depth. Students are supported to explore new areas and build on their subject knowledge, enabling them to make an informed choice when it comes to selecting subjects at GCSE level. Watch our subject videos to hear what our students think.
Use the icon in the top right of the video to select different subjects.