Senior school at a glance
- Average class size remains 16
- Students move to School, Field or Reckitt Houses (Year 9 to Sixth Form)
- All Year 9 subjects can be taken as a GCSE (except PSHE and Games)
- 26 GCSE-level options available, many reflecting the School’s strength in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics)
- We are the only School in England that offers the iGCSE Global Perspectives as a core subject, reflecting the School’s commitment to intercultural understanding and peace
- The School places great emphasis on educational trips to contextualise and enrich subject lessons.
Take a look +
The promise of choice lies at the heart of Leighton Park’s curriculum with students exploring subjects in breadth and depth. Students are supported to explore new areas and build on their subject knowledge, enabling them to make an informed choice when it comes to selecting subjects at GCSE level. Watch our subject videos to hear what our students think.
Use the icon in the top right of the video to select different subjects.
Year 9 is a natural progression from the Lower School, in terms of both pastoral care and the curriculum studied.
We teach the sciences as three separate subjects: Physics, Biology and Chemistry. And students can choose to continue studying Spanish as a second language.
In the Spring term, we organise a consultation evening for parents/guardians and students to discuss GCSE options with your child’s teachers.
We offer a broad range of options for GCSE, and students usually take nine or ten subjects. There are four core subjects (English Language & Literature, Maths and Global Perspectives) that everyone must take, but the other six or seven can be chosen from our list of options, with one reserve subject.
We also offer a BTEC qualification in Creative Digital Media Production and have recently introduced GCSEs in Dance, Engineering and Food Preparation & Nutrition.
Use the course finder below to see full details about our GCSE subjects or see our GCSE Programme Brochure.
We’re proud of the results our students have achieved at GCSE – last year 61% of all grades were 9–7 (A*–A) and 100% were 4(C) or above. In line with our Quaker values, Leighton Park is not a highly academically selective school, so these results are a testament to the quality of teaching and our students’ appetite for learning.
For more information on our most recent set of GCSE results (Summer 2019), please see our results breakdown.
We’re pleased to say that most students decide to continue their studies at Leighton Park after GCSE, and we’re keen to support them in this important transition.
Our Horizons programme is designed to help students choose the subjects they want to take at A Level or for the IB Diploma Programme. And to give them an insight into how their approach to studying will change.
The programme includes:
- A Sixth Form Open Evening
- A Sixth Form induction programme
- Detailed consultation with staff
- A taste of the all-important social programme
Use this subject finder to explore the different GCSE, A Level and IB options available at Leighton Park and see details of each subject’s syllabus.